18 Dec 2014 Marketing Plan task fourteen
I’ll bet you thought I forgot to write up today’s task. Actually I did. I was too preoccupied this morning watching Stephen Colbert’s crackup montage. Seriously I love that man with his one little elf ear.
Okay back to reality. Today we think about our new strategies for the 2015 Marketing Plan. You should have two new ones, and some good ‘uns from last year you’ll do again. Remember these are STRATEGIES not tactics. If you could give one of your strategies to a friend and they could go out and execute it without asking more detail, it’s a tactic. Even if they did it really badly like my friends would. If you’re still confused, remember that strategy is your bridge to your overall goal. Tactics are the “hows” for that bridge.
Another note. Take a look at your strategies and test them with two questions:
1. Do they help you reach your overall goal?
2. Do they help you reach your best customers?
If the answer is yes to both, think a tiny bit about what you’ll need for those strategies. Make an educated guess. You’re smarter than you think you are in this stuff. Marketing is not rocket science.
Now, ask yourself these questions and write down the answers.
1. What kind of budget will you need?
2. What kind of human resources will you need?
3. Is there specific timing associated with this? (For example, if your strategy will help pump up a slow summer season, or if you’re going to try to speak all over the place in the spring, etc.)
4. Are there any major obstacles to the strategy?
That’s it, you’re done. Now watch Colbert. PS it has naughty bits.